Monday, July 11, 2016

Forward Progress

Awhile back, I finally invited friends over to help me declutter and organize. I'm so blessed to have friends willing to dedicate an entire day to helping me go through things item by item, place them in appropriate piles, help me process lingering emotions, shift furniture and put things back in an organized manner. Then, the biggest step forward for me: cleaning out my car so I could actually take loads of stuff to the thrift store and actually taking them there! For months, I was so pleased with my progress and was actually house proud! I hosted a couple parties at my house and was pleased to have people over.

This weekend, the unfinished projects got to me again. There were projects started as far back as February that haven't been completed. We have an ever-growing pile of things that need to go to the dump and the pool we bought for the kids has gotten dirty and needs maintenance. I just let it all sink back in and couldn't let it go. Anger and resentment simmered then boiled and I was at a bursting point when it clicked: I have unfinished projects too, including my decluttering project. I was really mad at myself and was too afraid to admit it. Yes, the ones my husband started really do get to me as well but rather than resent him, I can set a better example for my kids by changing my outlook and reaction and use this as an opportunity to learn new skills. So there is a drawer and cabinet that need new pulls. I can figure out how to do that and gift him with a completed project while also doing myself a favor.

And in the mean time, I can also refocus my energies on my projects. In an effort to expel some of that negative energy in a positive way, I went through my kids' closet and found more they've outgrown and more excess we don't need. I even pulled a couple more things out of my closet. I let myself enjoy the glow of forward progress but clearly it's time to do another big declutter. I've decided to follow the FlyLady's suggestion and try to get rid of 27 items every month. If I can stick to that and do it more frequently, I will but for now, baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment