Tuesday, December 29, 2009

End of the year wrap-up

So Christmas ended up being really good. Everyone enjoyed their presents and the cookies mailed across the country were a hit. I scored some great knitting supplies, books, games, jewelry and a Roku to be able to play my beloved Netflix watch instantly movies and TV shows on the TV instead of the computer. I feel incredibly lucky and loved. Probably the most exciting part of the holidays was a surprise visit from Mr. C's older brother, sister-in-law and nephew. My future mother-in-law conspired with Charlie to bring them up for the holidays to surprise the family, and let me tell you, I was so surprised that the scream that came out hurt my throat for a good 12 hours. Sometimes I feel completely overwhelmed having my family expand as much as it is but then I remember how wonderful they all are and how welcome they make me feel in the family and feel so grateful. I know, I'm getting really cheesy but it's true.

Speaking of Christmas, now that it's over and presents have been dispersed and opened, I can finally upload pictures of the one gift I was super excited about giving this year. For my wonderful step-father who has a chronically bad back, I made a pillow! I took a scarf pattern from Stitch 'n Bitch Nation and with a few minor tweaks, I turned it into a pillow. I knit the two sides for the pillow cover and sewed three of those sides together:



Pillow pattern detail:

Then sewed and stuffed the inside pillow:


And finally, sewed the inside pillow into the cover. Voila! Super manly (a.k.a. cute) little back pillow!



On the baking side of things, I was able to make some Pecan Butter Balls (a.k.a. Russian Tea Cakes) for the Christmas party at our friends' house on Christmas Eve. I absolutely love this recipe and can't wait to make more. For those who also love baking here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 cups pecans
2 cups flour
1 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
Confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Chop the pecans in a blender or food processor until you have two cups. Combine all of the ingredients except confectioners' sugar. Gather the dough into a ball. With floured hands, shape into one-inch balls and bake on ungreased cookie sheets (can line cookie sheets with wax paper or parchment paper and spray them with Pam). Bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Pull the cookies and papers off the cookie sheet and onto the cooling rack and let them cool slightly; be sure they're still warm and then gently shake them in a bag with the confectioners' sugar. Place them back on the paper and add more confectioners' sugar while they cool.
Makes about 5 dozen.

I got the recipe from Ann Pearlman's wonderful book The Christmas Cookie Club. It's a quick and easy read but so good. I bought a copy for my mom and a friend for Christmas and will probably end up getting a copy for myself when it comes out in paperback. Incidentally, the Cheeseburger Cookies I made last week were also from this book and so far, they have been a massive hit! I plan on making them again for the New Year's party my future in-laws are having on Thursday.

Speaking of New Year's, after the year I've had, I'm really looking forward to getting a fresh start with 2010. 2009 wasn't terrible but it certainly was not my best year. Between finishing up the work to graduate, having to move into C's parents' basement and not getting a job for 5 months (and still not getting one in my field), it's been a rough year. I'm not big on making resolutions since I never seem to keep them, but my goals for the upcoming year are to get a job in archives, be able to move us into our own place, save a significant amount of money for the wedding, finally set a date for the wedding, craft more, and enjoy my life with Charlie as much as possible. Think I can do it? I guess we'll see this time next year.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you had a good Christmas! Thank you for the cookies you made (yum!) and the book. I read it and thoroughly enjoyed it! Chris loves his pillow. It is nice and firm and really helps when he sits in a chair. He says the only problem is that he only has the one!! :) I hope your 2010 holds your dreams come true, sweetie. Love you more, Mom

    ReplyDelete